Frequently Asked Questions
What is CloudReady?
CloudReady is an operating system built and maintained by Neverware. Based on Google’s open source Chromium OS, CloudReady uses web apps and cloud storage instead of traditional software and local storage. If you are just getting started with Chromebooks, start here!
How are CloudReady and Chromebooks different?
Both CloudReady and Chrome OS are based on the open-source Chromium OS. This is why these two operating systems work so similarly, though they are not the same. CloudReady is designed to be installed on existing PC and Mac hardware, whereas ChromeOS can only be found on official Chrome devices. A few other differences apply - for a full technical comparison of CloudReady and Chromebooks, click here.
Why should I use CloudReady?
- Accelerating Adoption: If you’re already buying Chromebooks, chances are you have Windows computers left over from before you made the switch. CloudReady can convert those legacy machines so that your entire fleet can be unified under the Google Admin console.
- Reviving Aging Machines: Over time, even the best PCs slow down. CloudReady replaces their aging operating systems and heavy local apps with something speedy and lightweight that won’t slow down over time.
- Risk-free Exploration: Adopting any new technology always carries risks and uncertainties. CloudReady lets you experience the Google platform with no risk, no cost, and no need to get approval for hardware. Just download, install, and see for yourself.
How much does CloudReady cost?
There are 2 editions of CloudReady, each with a different cost.
Home edition - The free edition of CloudReady is intended for individual use, and so does not integrate with Google’s Admin console. Neverware does not offer any technical support for the Home Edition, but you can usually find assistance in our CloudReady user community forum.
For Education or Enterprise editions - The Education or Enterprise editions of CloudReady (also available to non-profits) are fully supported by our dedicated Support team, and can be enrolled and managed in the Google Admin console alongside Chromebooks. Only certified models are officially supported by Neverware for educational and corporate use.
Education pricing options:
- $1 per enrolled student, annually - unlimited CloudReady site license with access to support
- $15/year, per device - includes 1 year of technical support
- $59 perpetual license, per device - includes 3 years of technical support
Enterprise pricing options:
- $49/year, per device - includes 1 year of technical support
Will CloudReady work on my computer(s)?
Home edition - Most people have success on their computers, and there’s absolutely no risk to trying CloudReady. You can head over to our forums to find out if anyone has tested your model!
For Education or Enterprise editions - CloudReady is compatible with a wide range of PC and Mac laptops and desktops. You can find a full list of our certified models here. Neverware is unable to provide support for non-certified machines, but many machines not present on the certified list may work. If your school has computers that are not present on the certified model list, email us to discuss your needs.
How do I get started?
For Education or Enterprise editions - If you are an educational institution, business or non-profit, sign up for a free trial. The free trial will allow you to use 5 full licenses of CloudReady for 3 weeks.
How can I get help?
Home edition - Technical support is limited to the knowledge base and user forums.
For Education or Enterprise editions - Education and enterprise users can contact support the following ways:
- Email at [email protected]
- Call support at (855) 979-9199