Hey CloudReady Fans!
We're releasing our v68.2 to the Dev channel of the Home, Education, and Enterprise Editions, as well as the Beta channel of the Home Edition, today.
If you're interested, subscribe to the Dev or Beta channels to get an over-the-air update now.
We're bringing v68 to unstable release channels without having done any stable releases of v67. Over the next few months you'll hear more from us about our evolving release process and how we're adjusting CloudReady's release timing compared to Chrome OS.
Release Notes for v68:
- OS Upgrade to 68
- Initial support for automatic screen-rotation on some convertible laptops: We're introducing support for automatic screen rotation based on physical device rotation. This complements our new support for Chromium's tablet-mode UI functionality in v67. Both features work on recent HP Spectre 13 devices, and may also work on a variety of other machines like Dell XPS 13 or Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1s.
- Fix for switchable ("Optimus") GPUs: Through 2018 we've had issues requiring users to disable dual-GPUs in their BIOS. Starting in v68, customers should be able to leave those graphics as-is without issue.
- Fix for sleep/resume on Lenovo ThinkPad E440
- Fix for microphone issues on Dell Latitude 3480, 3490: These devices were crashing when microphones were accessed in v67 and below - they should work with audio input now.
- Support for UEFI boot mode on Lenovo ThinkPad T430: T430 models have been required to use Legacy boot mode until now, but v68 will support the newer UEFI option when installing and booting.
- Better support for Plugins across updates: Plugins currently need to be re-installed after a major update in many cases. After v68, you should see devices carry forward their plugin install state, and handle an update to a newer plugin version during the install if necessary.
New in v68.2
- Fix for more Asus touchpad: We found the Asus 402SA had a touchpad which was entirely non-functional on CloudReady. This machine's been fixed, and we hope other recent Asus devices with similar problems will also be improved.
- Fix for jitters on Lenovo ThinkPad x140e touchpad
- Fixed v68.1 issues with NVIDIA graphics: In v68.1 we had some issues with Nvidia graphics, particularly the NVC0-family of GPUs, but we believe those are fully resolved in this release.
- Fixed v68.1 lack with Widevine: Streaming services that use Widevine DRM (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc) should work in v68.2
- Mouse issues with flatpaks when on external monitors: On some devices, we've noticed the mouse stops working with flatpaks on external monitors. If you notice this issue, unplug the monitor from the device and reboot.
- Graphics issues on login screen for AMD GPUs: We've noticed some graphics issues during login on devices with AMD GPUs. If you have a device with an AMD GPU please let us know what you see at login.
- Tablet auto-rotate screens: Upon turning a tablet, sometimes the screen does not auto-rotate. Logging out and back in appears to fix this.
- Dell Latitude D420 stuck on boot: This device sits at the CloudReady screen on boot during our v68.2 tests. We've tested some other 32-bit-only devices and could not reproduce the issue. We continue to investigate.
Unstable releases often have unforeseen bugs. We rely upon Dev & Beta Channel users to report those to us so we can stabilize builds more quickly, so If you device to try this release, please let us know what you think and report any issues using the links below.