Hey CloudReady Fans!
We're shipping v64.2 to the Dev and Beta Channels of the Home Edition today with some bug fixes and improvements to our experimental flatpak support!
We released the same v64.2 update to the Dev channel of the Education and Enterprise Editions today!
If you're interested, subscribe to the Dev or Beta channel to get an over-the-air update now.
Release Notes for v64:
- OS Upgrade to 64
- Removal of dualboot install option: In keeping with our previously announced timeline for sunsetting dualboot in CloudReady, v64 will no longer offer the ability to install dualboot mode. Read more.
- Add support for PCI-connected eMMC storage: In v64, devices with eMMC internal storage that connects via PCI (rather than SATA) are able to install and boot CloudReady.
- Experimental Flatpak Support! : We're really excited to be bringing initial support for running Flatpak Linux Applications to the Home Edition of CloudReady! The performance is not optimized yet, and not every Flatpak is guaranteed to work - most haven't even been tested by our team. Still, we think this will bring a new layer of productivity options for those times when in-browser functionality isn't enough. Read more about Flatpaks and CloudReady here.
Fixes new in v64.2
- Fix for graphics regression on older Intel GPUs: We had some issues that we resolved in v63 for "gen 3" and older Intel graphics - those showed up again in v64.1, but are resolved once more in v64.2.
- Flatpak performance: Flatpaks can now use your GPU to offer much better performance.
- Expanded flatpak functionality: Some additional changes to our flatpak compatibility should allow more apps, including Steam, to run on CloudReady. (Note that not all Steam games will run, just Steam itself).
- Fix for graphics issues on NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GPUs: We found some Macbooks and iMacs with NVIDIA 8400M graphics were showing graphics and boot problems starting v63. This release should fix those troubles.
- System tray sub-menus are sometimes hidden: We're seeing some devices fail to show the entirety of sub-menus in the system/clock tray like wifi and bluetooth. We're working on a fix for this to come in a more stable v64 release, but if this is happening on your machine, you can adjust the same settings in the full settings menu.
- Hangouts / Meet Screensharing: A change in Google's new implementation of Hangouts and Meet video-conferencing has caused CloudReady to stop supporting screensharing. This issue is under investigation and we hope it will be resolved soon.
- Plenty of flatpak bugs: Flatpaks are still experimental - your mileage may vary. Check out more info on that now.
- Wallpaper rendering issues on some older GPUs: Some devices with GMA 950 and GMA 3150 graphics are no longer properly rendering the CloudReady wallpaper (and some other user-specified wallpapers). Issues of this kind are fixed once logged in as a user.
- General issues with dual/switchable GPUs: We've found that machines with dual GPUs (Intel and NVIDIA) fail to boot CloudReady. We are generally recommending that all users disable "Optimus" or "Switchable" graphics in their BIOS/UEFI settings.
- Graphics on 32bit builds: To avoid graphics issues and get the best possible experience, only install 32bit CloudReady on devices that are marked as "32-bit Only" on our certified models list.
Unstable releases often have unforeseen bugs, and a kernel upgrade can bring a lot of change that could be problematic. We rely upon Dev Channel users to report those to us in our forums, so if you're ok with a little instability, please jump to this new release and let us know what you think!